Poetry Contest: She blinded me with Science
She blinded me with Science Results
Grand prize: DC$ 32
The rules were given as the following:
2015 is a year of marked and notable scientific discoveries and experiences...a new antibiotic found in soil that may have the power to deter resistance and end superbugs once and for all, a previously unknown super massive blackhole, the super blood moon, and now liquid water on Mars. The indications of these events are infinite and offer much inspiration for writing poetry.
This contest focuses on science in all of its forms. It also focuses on storytelling and encourages length. These types of poems are not abundant here on DP and I think it's a great time to try to remedy that.
Here are the rules:
1. You may enter a new work or a previously written work that has NOT previously won a DP-sponsored contest.
2. All genres of poetry are welcome. Poetic devices are encouraged.
3. Any length is welcome, but longer or epic length poetry is preferred. If you enter a short piece, please make sure it makes an impact and tells a story.
4. All genres/classifications of science and science fiction are acceptable, especially quantum theory. This does NOT include paranormal or fantasy, so please do not submit poetry about vampires, werewolves, trolls, dwarves or dragons, etc. I have included links below to some writes that incorporate science fiction themes to give you an idea of what we're looking for.
5. If you have a graphic talent such as photography or painting (anything of that sort) please feel free to accompany your piece with it, but it must be YOUR OWN COPYRIGHTED WORK.
6. Just because science is the focus of this contest does not mean you must leave emotion and human experience out of your writing. In fact, it means the very opposite. We will be looking for writing that you can get lost in and put yourself in the place of the central character and theme--heavy imagery, emotions, and personality are encouraged.
The prize is 32 dc, which is equivalent to a full quarter of full membership. If I can get enough ducats together by the end of the contest, there will be a runner-up prize of 12 dc also.
This is a big money contest, so you have over a month to get your piece written and entered.
alien integration/evolution theme:
companion piece to above:
dystopian future theme:
dystopian future/interstellar travel/sequel to above:
alien invasion theme: